The Ministry of Education of Turkmenistan is the central body of the executive authority that directs and controls the system of education management and educational institutions which implements a unified state policy on education and youth policy.
The Ministry of Education of Turkmenistan, as well as the state education management institutions in velayats, etraps and cities form a unified system of education management in the country. Local bodies of the executive authority perform the functions of state education management in the areas within their educational powers.
The main powers of the Ministry of Education of Turkmenistan are:
1) ensures the realization of the unified state policy on education and youth;
2) develops the prospects and directions of education development, requirements for its content, level and volume;
3) develops regulatory-supervisory documents for the organization of educational, methodological and scientific activities of educational institutions in all trends;
4) participates in the development of measures to implement the state policy and programs of Turkmenistan in the field of educating students;
5) carries out state control in the field of education;
6) in accordance with the legislation of Turkmenistan it carries out other tasks concerning to its authority.